OCCK

The King Family has received four unrelated reports that the OCCK murderer was the son of an automobile or GM executive. I initially referred to them as urban legends but my children said we lived in the suburbs and therefore I changed the Title to Suburban Legends for this Chapter.

Within three or four weeks after Marney Keenan of The Detroit News published her first Article on OCCK Case on October 26, 2009, a young man knocked at my door and wanted to speak at me. He had played on the same hockey team as my son, Tim, and made this report. He stated 18 years ago he was working in a clothing store and had a number of police officers as customers. On one occasion he asked a police customer if he was working on any interesting cases. The officer did not reply and started to leave the store. He then returned and told Nummer that he had been working on the OCCK Case, and that the murderer had been identified as the son of a prominent GM Executive. Nummer was quite surprised that if this information was made available to him that it had not been made available to my family.

During the same period of time Marney Keenan, the Detroit News Reporter, received a phone call from a lady who identified herself as a teacher of Kristine Mihelich, the third victim. The teacher reported that she was drinking at the Salamander Bar in the Pontchartrain Hotel in Detroit one evening next to a police officer. She inquired about the status of the Mihelich case, and the officer replied that it had been solved and that the murderer was the son of a prominent automobile executive.

My children, Cathy and Chris, went to college at Marquette University with an acquaintance who also grew up in the Birmingham area. This lady advised my children that she was drinking in a bar in Chicago where she met a police officer from this area. She asked him about the status of the OCCK Case and was advised that the Case had been solved and that the murderer was the son of a prominent automobile executive.

The fourth source of these continuing legends came to my attention when my daughter, Cathy, published her WordPress article on May 20, 2016. In this article, she reported she had received the following message:

“Hi Cathy,

I was a teenager in Detroit at the time and my father had a stamp and coin store at Eastland Shopping Center. One of his customers was E. Harwood Rydholm, a big executive at Chrysler. Mr. Rydholm told my dad that that OCCK was the son of a powerful GM exec and that the police were protecting GM’s reputation so he probably wouldn’t be arrested. Mr. Rydholm passed away in 1987. The ghastly part is that Mr. Rydholm told my father this story shortly have Kristine Mihelich went missing.”

These four unrelated reports all indicate that the OCCK murderer was the son of a prominent GM or automobile executive. They all took place during the 30 years of silence between 1977 and 2007 during which no one from law enforcement talked to the King Family. To my knowledge, no one from law enforcement talked to these individuals after the King Family went public in October 2009. As you can imagine, the King Family has legitimate concerns that these Reports are not coincidental. If anyone reading this Chapter has any other similar information, please bring it to my attention.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather
OCCK

When Chris Bush was arrested on the Genesee County charges in Alma MI, on January 28, 1977 and after waving his Miranda rights, Busch made statements to the arresting officers. He admitted that he was a homosexual and liked young boys who tend to be 10-15 years old. Partial results of this interview are summarized in paragraph 3-S of the search warrant affidavit in Chapter 8( Exhibit A) which reads as follows.

“Busch told detectives that he and Greene had discussed and planned how they would kidnap, hold and molest young boys. Busch stated that he and Greene agreed that one would work days and the other nights, so that one of them would always be with the kidnapped child. Busch further described 3 locations where he picked up young boys in the past. These locations are as follows:

• 9 Mile and Woodward are in Ferndale;
• In Royal Oak near 13 Mile Rd and Woodward;
• In the area of 12 Mile and Greenfield Rd, more specifically, Hartfield’s Bowling Alley and the 7-11 party store located directly across the street.

Doan reported that he asked Busch what they intended to do with the child after they were through with him. Doan wrote in his report that Busch could not answer. “

The above locations are where Mark Stebbins, Jill Robinson and Kristine Mihelich were abducted. My judgment is that this location is not coincidental.

In 1976 and 1977 were these locations identified by any other child victims or pedophile suspects?

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather
OCCK

Kevin Dietz, an investigative reporter from Channel 4, asked himself the above question. He contacted Western Ontario University which has a program that investigates cold cases. The University had the matter investigated by staff and students. The 25 page report from Western Ontario University concluded that it could have been either murder or suicide, but murder was the better possibility.

In 2015 I was contacted by Anthony Karrick who was writing a book claiming that Busch has been murdered by the OCCK perpetrators because he had attempted to bribe them to remain silent. Although we met 3 times, he never did give me any factual information supporting his conclusion. He advised me that he had met with the Oakland County Sheriff on this issue but had not received any formal report from that office. Karrick died the day after our third meeting.

It is my understanding that the concurrent investigators and prosecutors do not eliminate the murder possibility. Realistically, there is little likelihood at this late date they will charge anybody with murder unless much more information is available.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather
OCCK

In my 57 years of practice, I have no criminal law experience except for a few drunk driving cases early in my career. The Michigan Search Warrant Statute came to my attention when the Oakland County Prosecutor presented the April 29, 2011 orders in both my Michigan State Police and Oakland County Prosecutor FOIA lawsuits. The Order stated basically that no one could have access to the Busch search warrant file in the 48th District Court for the search of the former Christopher Busch residence on October 28, 2008.

The last sentence of Section 9 of the Michigan Search Warrant Statute (Act 189 of 1966) specifically provides that the suppression orders authorized by the statute do not apply in FOIA cases:

(9) On the fifty-sixth day following the issuance of a search warrant, the search warrant affidavit contained in any court file or court record retention system is public information unless, before the fifty-sixth day after the search warrant is issued, a peace officer or prosecuting attorney obtains a suppression order from a judge or district court magistrate upon a showing under oath that suppression of the affidavit is necessary to protect an ongoing investigation or the privacy or safety of a victim or witness. The suppression order may be obtained ex parte in the same manner that the search warrant was issued. An initial suppression order issued under this subsection expires on the fifty-sixth day after the order is issued. A second or subsequent suppression order may be obtained in the same manner as the initial suppression order and shall expire on a date specified in the order. This subsection and subsection (8) do not affect a person’s right to obtain a copy of a search warrant affidavit from the prosecuting attorney or law enforcement agency under the freedom of information act, 1976 PA 442, MCL 15.231 to 15.246. MCL 780.651 (9)

SECTION 9 SPECIFICALLY STATES IT DOES NOT APPLY TO MY FOIA CASES AND BOTH THE OAKLAND COUNTY PROSECUTOR AND THE 48TH DISTRICT COURT HAVE SUCCESSFULLY REFUSED TO DISCUSS THIS ASPECT OF MY CASE WITH ME.

In addition, Section 9 of the Michigan Search Warrant Statue also contains language suppressing the access to Search Warrant and Search Warrant Affidavits. All of the Search Warrant information is suppressed for 56 days. If the prosecutor wants to extend it beyond 56 days it must file a renewal order within the previous 56 day period. If no 56 day renewal order is entered the information is available to the public on the 57th day. The Statute does not contain any language allowing any public body to file subsequent suppression orders after the first 56 day period expires. I will discuss this further in chapter 11.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather
OCCK

Prologue

My eleven-year-old son, Timothy, was abducted in Oakland County on March 16, 1977, and his body was found in Wayne County in a roadside ditch on March 22, 1977. In response to my Freedom of Information Act (“FOIA”) lawsuit against the Michigan State Police, I learned after December 15, 2010 that Tim had been sexually abused. Furthermore, Tim had been suffocated by someone who held both his nose and mouth shut. Tim died in his hands. I cannot imagine a more heinous death.

After the death of Kristine Michelich, the third victim, my children recall a discussion I had with Tim. He was told not to accept a ride from a stranger. If anyone tried to force him to enter a car, he was instructed to drop anything he was carrying, run and scream. During the six days he was alive, I am certain he knew what would happen.

In July 2007, Tim’s sister, Cathy Broad, advised the Livonia Police Department in Wayne County of an unidentified suspect. Detective Cory Williams of the Livonia Police Department, and Detective Sergeant Garry Gray of the Michigan State Police, identified this suspect as Christopher Busch on November 30, 2007. Williams and Gray later identified the possible participation of two of Busch’s companions, Gregory Greene and Vince Gunnels. Thereafter the King family received encouraging reports on the Busch involvement from law enforcement. To my surprise, my friend, Donald Studt, now Birmingham Chief of Police, called me on March 1, 2010 at the request of Jessica Cooper, the Oakland County Prosecutor, to advise me that Christopher Busch and his companions were no longer suspects. When no one would tell me the basis for this conclusion, I commenced FOIA lawsuits against both the Michigan State Police and the Oakland County Prosecutor. Jessica Cooper and her staff have refused to talk to me about the March 1, 2010 conclusions. Thus far her silence has been supported by the Oakland County Circuit Court and the Michigan Court of Appeals.

The King family and the families of Mark Stebbins, Jill Robinson and Kristine Mihelich, the other three OCCK victims, deserve an explanation from the responsible public officials regarding the investigation of these murders. In particular, your local prosecutor should not have dictatorial powers to close investigation of valid suspects without explanation. The Michigan Constitution states that crime victims have a right to confer with the prosecutor (Article I, Section 24). Why should anyone submit a valid suspect to law enforcement if the local prosecutor can refuse to take action for undisclosed reasons? If the reasons are professional, even Jessica Cooper has gone public to explain her reasoning. However, if the reasons are political, personal, power in control or other nonprofessional reasons, all of which may be present in the OCCK case, silence does not protect the victims or the public. I welcome your thoughts and responses but request that you complete the entire story before making interim replies.

In 2008, both Wayne and Oakland County identified Christopher Busch as the best suspect the system had produced in over 30 years. The Christopher Busch lead was the result of the phone call my daughter made to the Livonia Police Department in 2009 with information on an unidentified suspect. Cory Williams of the Livonia Police Department and Gregory Greene of the Michigan State Police identified this suspect as Christopher Busch.

My Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) lawsuit against the Michigan State Police resulted in the delivery of 3,411 pages on the Christopher Busch investigation. However, the legal system has told me that the Oakland County Prosecutor has no responsibility to provide information supporting her March 1, 2010 phone call.

Last summer I decided to use social media to tell my story. This was awkward because of my limited knowledge of this new communication system. I would like to thank those youngsters (age 60 and under) for the education provided to me regarding this publication.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather